Friday, April 8, 2011

Never to old to learn...

Hmmm, I wonder who panned those famous words "never to old to learn"? So in the hopes of teaching an old dog some new tricks, I have decided to go back to school. But seriously, I have given a lot thought here lately. I always said I would go back to school one day, and I guess for me that 'one day' is approaching. At my age of nearly 41, what in the world could I be thinking, have I gone completely mad? For some that answer may be YES, and at times my inner voice is agreeing quite loudly. But there is still that voice inside my head that says "you can do this". So back in January, I researched programs to get my RN to BSN. Right now I have my associates degree in nursing and practice as a licensed RN and have done so for the last 10 yrs. I love my job as a labor and delivery nurse, but as I get older, those long 12 hour shifts on my feet are taking there toll on me. Besides, I think the average age of a RN is 45-47 years of age, so hey, I'm still one of the young ones in this game. Well after my research, I chose to apply to ETSU, they have an online RN to BSN program that seems like it would be a good fit for my busy life. I got accepted into ETSU and now I am just waiting to see if I get accepted in the nursing program. I won't know anything until probably late May or early June. I figured there was no time like the present. With my 5 yr old starting kindergarten this fall and having my 3 yr old home with me this may allow me some time to apply myself to this idea I have in my head. You see by 2015, they are requiring all nurse practitioners to have doctrate degrees (believe I have looked at the course work for that and I about fell over). I have been toying around with the idea of family nurse practitioner and here lately a MSN in nursing education. Both are really good directions to go in: FNP will be more in demand with all the health care reform and a shortage of general practice doctors. It would be a more family friendly schedule having children still at home and the pay would be about twice as much as I am making now. Then there is the idea of MSN in nursing education, there is expected to be a shortage of skill nursing instructors to teach the younger generation coming up. Most of the educators in nursing are aging just like me, but they may have 15-20 yrs on me. But how awesome would that be to be able to pay it forward for a new generation? So here I sit wondering which path to choose. But I guess I need to cross my first bridge and get accepted to the nursing program first. This may be at least a 4 yr undertaking, but I have to start somewhere. I promised my dad long ago that I would always finish nursing school, and I did. But I want to make him even more proud and say not only did I finish, but I continued on in my journey. I also want to use this an example to my children, and want them to see me work hard for my goals and be able to enjoy the 'fruits of my labor'.
Now it's just a waiting game.

No comments: